Bipolar Spectrum Disorder is not a condition that includes Bipolar Disorder it also consist of depression and many other mood swings. We know that Bipolar Disorder only consists of depressive syndromes as well as mania or hypomania. Some specialists think that Bipolar Spectrum Disorder may be a useful frame work behind the vast range of mental health. While others believes that alone symptoms cannot diagnostic.
- Bipolar I Disorder: This type of Disorder can exist in both ways within or without psychotic disorder.
- Bipolar II Disorder: In this disorder two episodes are highlighted that is manic and depressive which are usually less dangerous?
- Cyclothymic disorder: This type of Bipolar Disorder consists of two episodes that is Depression and Hypomania.
These three conditions of disorder affect almost 3 to 4 % of population. Patients of bipolar disorder are less willing to receive medical treatments like antidepressants.
Types of Bipolar Spectrum Disorder Defined by Dunner & Fieve
In 70’s both Fieve and Dunner were responsible to find out the difference between Bipolar Disorder I and Bipolar Disorder II. In 80’s Gerald Klerman define the following subtypes:
- Bipolar-I: Mania and Depression
- Bipolar-II: Hypomania and Depression
- Bipolar-III: cyclothymia
- Bipolar-IV: Hypomania or Mania caused by antidepressants
- Bipolar-V: Genetic Bipolar Disorder
- Bipolar-VI: Non-Depressive Mania
Types of Bipolar Spectrum Disorder Defined by a rsearch v Akiskal
According to another Researcher Akiskal Bipolar disorder consist of the following 6 types given below:
- Bipolar-I: Full Mania
- Bipolar-Ia: Depression with Hypomania
- Bipolar-II: Depression with episodes of Hypomania
- Bipolar-IIa: Cyclothymia
- Bipolar-III: Antidepressant-caused Hypomania
- Bipolar-IIIa: Depression and Hypomania caused by using substance
- Bipolar-IV: Depression caused by Hyperthymic attitude
- Bipolar-V: Dysphoric Hypomania Episodes and Recurrent Depression
- Bipolar-VI: Depression that progressives to a Dementia-like Disorder
Causes of this Bipolar Disorder
Although to identify bipolar disorder causes is very difficult but following are some factors which are mostly seen in these patients:
- Different changes in brain according biological point of view.
- There is no balance in the brain between naturally occurring neurotransmitters.
- This disorder may transfer from genes.
- In this type of depression a person uses antidepressant medications.
To identify this disease for doctors is very difficult due its different levels of Depression.
How Bipolar Spectrum Disorder can be treated?
It’s a very serious and complicated situation. For the treatment of Bipolar Spectrum Disorder you should consult with a qualified psychiatrist. Treatment options are:
Medication: Treated by medicines like antipsychotic medicines and antidepressants.
Psychotherapy: Family therapy or Cognitive Behavior Therapy may help you move out from depression. In this way your loved ones find new ways to cope with the changes that appears in you.
Self Management and Education: By understanding the mood swings and triggers you can help the person to manage or avoid those symptoms and signs. The most harmful symptoms are lack of sleep, alcohol and stress.
Electroconvulsive therapy (ECT): A person may go under Electroconvulsive therapy when condition is more severe and do not help to control it. In this therapy an electric current is passed through the brain to stimulate a Seizure. But doctors do not understand it fully how seizure improve symptoms.
New therapy may help to recover a person who is suffering this disorder. In this way they can deal and face all those challenges to whom they always try to avoid. For fast and accurate recovery you have to the following steps:
- Use the medicine according to the instructions and recommendations provided by doctor.
- Stay under the care of doctor for proper treatment and update them any changes that occurs.
Self Tips to recover yourself from this Depression
Here are some tips that may help you to recover you:
Make a bond or join a group with those people who are also in bipolar disorder.
Stay connected with your friends or loved ones.
Make group discussions and consider it as your hobby.
Study different books and topics on depression how to control it.
Daily any physical activity may be exercise, dance, sports, or yoga.